Can you remember what you need to know to be a leader for today AND a leader for the future?
When you watched the video, you first learned the 3 skill sets all leaders need:
- People skills: These are evergreen and will outlast everything
- Administrative skills: These are constantly changing and require effort if you want to stay current
- Technical skills: These are usually industry specific or are attached to skills used by the general population
Then, we looked at people skills in more depth. To build great people skills you can start by:
- Knowing who you are – Develop an awareness of your leadership strengths and weaknesses so you can get strategic about them
- Organizing your space and your time – Set the example you want your team to follow
- Drawing the line – Set professional boundaries and present yourself as a leader to your team 100% of the time
Spend a few minutes today to write down 2 strengths you have as a leader, and 2 weaknesses. Think about what you can do to capitalize on your strengths and who might be able to mentor you through your weaknesses. Write down your ideas, and let that be a start to growing yourself as a leader.
Ready to find a community of learners?
Join our Savvy Supervisor Facebook Group and stop missing out on the expertise others are willing to share. Let us help connect you to other managers offering their experience and insights to help you develop your leadership potential.