Upcoming Free Webinars
Our free webinars feature expert interviews about leadership, best practice employers, career build strategies and Canadian workplace culture tips.
Our topics revolve around three major themes:
- Tips for internationally-trained professionals
- Best practices for employers
- Leadership development
Click on the webinar titles to save your seat (we’ll even give you a spot in webinars already past!). Links become live when registration opens.
Intercultural Communication for Virtual and Live Teams Seminar Series – Part 1
January 10, 2019 10:00 a.m. MST
You in Culture at Work
Frustrated in work communications with people who are not like you?
Here’s a secret: to improve your communication skills with other cultures, the first place to begin is with you.
Our seminar “You in culture at work” guides you through the process of knowing yourself from a cultural perspective in a workplace setting. By uncovering the roots to your work tendencies and beliefs through the groups you are influenced by, you will gain insights into your expectations, attitudes and behaviours that you never dreamed were culturally influenced.
You will learn to:
- Use your cultural insights to link your beliefs, attitudes and expectations in a workplace setting
- See the light and dark side of your cultural orientations
- Use a continuum tool to uncover how your cultural behaviours are likely to affect people whose cultures are different from your own
The insights you will gain about your own cultural self, orientation and beliefs will be one of the most invaluable things you have ever learned!
Start your year off right with a fresh new look at how you can be more effective by learning to consciously use your own cultural gifts and avoid typical cultural pitfalls at work.
This seminar comes with a workbook that will be emailed to you in advance.
It is the first of a four-part series on intercultural communication for virtual and in person teams.
Intercultural Communication for Virtual and Live Teams Seminar Series – Part 2
January 17, 2019, 10:00 a.m. MST
Discovering Culture in Others and Why It Matters in the Workplace
Let’s say you just had a confusing exchange with an individual or team at work. Things are not going well, but you can’t figure out where to start to fix it. If you work with a diverse team, you will need to start with this critical question:
Is this incident: cultural, personal, wellness or personality?
Get the answer to this and more in Part 2 of our Intercultural communication for virtual and live teams “Discovering culture in others and why it matters in the workplace.”
You will learn to:
- Use a special tool for identifying potential areas of difficulty in intercultural communications
- Practice working with a diagnostic matrix for knowing if a behaviour is cultural or not
- Discover what needs to be “cleared” in your own emotional reaction so you can actually see the other person’s culture
- Increase your intercultural capacity by applying inclusive workplace principles to effectively communicate with diverse team members
By the end of the session, you will have a better understanding of how to engage effectively with people who are different from you at work, learn from their perspectives, and build team capacity to harness everyone’s hidden potential.
Sound good? Register today for either individual sessions or the complete package in our featured series “Intercultural communication for virtual and live teams”!
Intercultural Communication for Virtual and Live Teams Seminar Series – Part 3
January 24, 2019 10:00 a.m. MST
Setting and Building your Desired Company Culture
So now you know more about who you are culturally and how to see and build on the cultural insights from your team members. Does that mean you have to spend all your time figuring out and adjusting to everyone’s differences?
Not if you want to get any work done!
In Part 3 of our series: Intercultural communication for virtual and live teams “Setting and building your desired company culture”, you will learn how to create an organizational culture that embodies your deepest values and can be experienced by all employees no matter what culture they are from. It’s all about knowing what you want, setting clear expectations and responding to input along the way.
You will learn to:
Participate in a values identification process to name what is most important to you in your organizational culture or in how you want your team to “be”
- Discover how to use the question “What do I need to feel safe…” to build substance around the values you want to see and experience
- Use a list of critical questions and sentence starters for getting to the experiences of your team and using them to anchor company values
- Practice using a “clear expectations” checklist to ensure you have shared understanding on critical issues
In this session you will discover how to use the four learnings to create a climate of community belonging and commitment. Specific strategies to use in both live and virtual settings will be provided.
Is this something you could use – say – for the rest of your life? You bet!
Register today for either individual sessions or the complete package in our featured series:“Intercultural communication for virtual and live teams”!
Intercultural Communication for Virtual and Live Teams Seminar Series – Part 4
January 31, 2019, 10:00 a.m. MST
Scripts and Questions Framework for Solving Intercultural Team Problems
Feeling overwhelmed about all the learning and flexibility involved in intercultural communication?
Don’t worry, this session is the “done for you” piece with tip sheets and checklists to support you in moving from the “understanding” phase to the “action” phase!
In this session we will use several case studies to show how intercultural communication breaks down, how to fix it and how to prevent it. To help with this process, you will practice using scripts, checklists and questions for either preventing or fixing things when communication goes sideways.
You will learn to:
- Real workplace intercultural scenarios in both virtual and live team settings to practice with
- Opportunities to practice scripts for setting the stage and avoiding unnecessary misunderstandings
- Key questions for diagnosing, repairing and applying remedies to intercultural issues
- Applying listening principles to get to the root of issues
- What to do if you have made a big mistake
This very practical session will include downloadable scripts, checklists and questions as well as a BONUS resource list for more intercultural tools created by our talented colleagues in the intercultural industry around the world.
You will not want to miss out on this action packed, strategies based final session in our series “Intercultural communication for live and virtual teams”!
See you there!